For Contraception and Sexual Health issues
All clients are asked to telephone 01495 765065
Call Monday- Friday, 9am-12pm and 1-3pm to book a telephone discussion about your health needs.
A clinic appointment will then be made for you to either collect medication or to be seen by clinical staff.
There will be appointments available in 5 hubs:
- Bargoed Health Centre
- Cwmbran Health Centre
- Cordell Centre, Newport
- Ysbyty Aneurin Bevan
(please see more information in the menu below)
If you require a sexual health screen and do not have symptoms, you can have a free home test by visiting Frisky Wales.
What services are available?
- Starting or repeat prescription of contraceptive pills and injections
- Fitting or changing of contraceptive implants or intrauterine devices (coils IUCD/ IUS)
- Assessing and managing coil and implant problems.
- Assessing and managing current contraception problems.
- Emergency contraception
- Diagnosis and treatment of the majority of sexually transmitted infections
in people with symptoms. People without symptoms can also access home testing by visiting the FRISKY Wales website
- Investigation and treatment of sudden onset pelvic and testicular pain
- Investigation and treatment of genital ulcers
- Sexual Assault Care
- Abortion care
- HIV care
What about my coil or implant – they have run out?
- The Jaydess hormonal coil will not work for contraception beyond 3 years. The 5 year Mirena/Levosert hormonal coil (IUS) will work for contraception up to 6 years
- The 10 year copper coil (IUD) will work for contraception up to 10 years
- The progesterone only Implant is licensed for contraception up to 3 years but the risk of pregnancy in the fourth year is extremely low, if your implant has been in for more than 3 years please contact us to arrange a change of device.
If you would like information on contraception options please visit this excellent website: