The more we move, the better we feel – but sometimes keeping up momentum when trying out a new exercise routine or sport can feel like a challenge.
Try small things to create healthy habits that work for you, here are a few ideas:
- Create a plan: Follow a manageable training plan, for example Couch to 5K is an easy-to-follow training plan for those interested in taking up running from a beginner level.
- Try a home workout – get your heart rate up from the comfort of your own home. Why not choose from one of Sports Wales’ easy to follow home-workout videos.
- Do it with a friend – make a plan to go on a walk with a friend or loved one and pass the time catching-up as well as getting some daily or weekly movement in.
- Book a class in advance – having something pre-planned in the diary will help you commit to your exercise goals.
- Make a plan around your schedule and availability – are you a morning or an evening person? Plan your exercise in for when you have the most time and energy during the day.
- Book or attend a local sporting event – this could be as part of a SMART goal you have set yourself, or just for fun – the choice is yours!
Public Health Wales has more tips and tricks on how to motivate yourself to exercise.
Additionally, Run Wales offers suggestions and advice on keeping up motivation.