Skip to main content

Express Delivery at The Grange University Hospital


A baby boy was delivered in the car park of The Grange University Hospital yesterday – the hospital’s opening day.


Mum Chelsea Waite, aged 26, and partner Ieuan drove to the new hospital from their home in Blackwood when Chelsea’s contractions increased. All was going to plan until the couple were two minutes away from the hospital.


Chelsea said: “We were just about to park in the main car park and walk in together when suddenly my waters broke and I could feel the baby’s head. By the time my partner pulled up outside the front doors I was in hysterics.”


Dr Chris Chick, a Consultant Radiologist who hasn’t helped to deliver a baby since 1995, was passing when he heard Chelsea’s screams and rushed over to help. Dr Chick called for assistance and was joined by Healthcare Support Workers, Jordan Oliver and Paige Edwards.  He managed to deliver baby Flynn safely and kept him warm until midwives and Welsh Ambulance Service staff arrived on the scene to take over.


“I can’t believe how quickly Flynn came,” said Chelsea, who is also mum to 15-month-old Freddie. “From my waters breaking to him being born, the whole process was around five minutes! We were in shock because I was in labour for more than 16 hours with my first child.


“I was on all fours outside the car and Dr Chick managed to catch Flynn as he came out. Dr Chick and the other staff were amazing - they came to help me so quickly.


“It’s something for Flynn to be told about when he gets older – we can embarrass him when he gets his first girlfriend!”


Once mum and baby were taken to the Maternity Unit inside the new hospital, Flynn weighed in at 7lb 12oz.


Chelsea said: “The hospital is lovely and I was so relieved to be in such a modern and safe environment. We had a private ensuite room so I could take a shower and I immediately felt better.


“When I video called my family, they thought I was telling them I was in labour – but they were shocked to see Flynn already in my arms.


“After all the drama outside the hospital, it was very calm and relaxing and I was home by 10.30pm the same evening.


“I’ve seen these things happen on the TV, but I never thought it would happen to me!”