With temperatures expected to reach the early 30s over the next week here are some tips for staying safe in the sun.
- A sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 and a UVA rating of 5 or 6 stars is generally considered as a good standard of sun protection in addition to shade and clothing.
- Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going outdoors and reapply every two hours, especially during exercise or swimming.
- Wear sunglasses with UV400 rating and a CE mark..
- Wear a broad rim hat that covers the head, ears and neck
- Stay out of the sun during peak times, 11am - 3pm
- Sit in the shade and stay out of direct sunlight
- Take extra care with children and the elderly
- Keep hydrated - adults need to drink around 1.5–2 litres of fluid a day
More information can be found on the NHS website